Sunday, January 25, 2009

Outer Banks

I'm in the OBX right now for a weekend getaway with my husband. I've been advised to 'take a break-relax a little.' I visited with a dear friend, Nancy, yesterday. It was her birthday and we took a walk in the winter sunshine, then had lunch out at a landmark diner on the beach road. She's someone I can pour my heart out to and she never hesitates to give me the same treatment. Honesty with compassion, so refreshing. Last night was dinner out with my husband and another couple, followed by a fire in the condo and a cuddle on the couch. Yet even with all this, there's the invisible umbilical cord connecting me to that bedroom upstairs in my house in Richmond where my mother spends her days and nights. A nurse is looking in on her this weekend for the first time. It's all new to us-- the need for her to require help--and so shocking to me, since she was always the first one to help someone else. That's why, when she called to tell me the nurse has had a somewhat difficult life, and that she kissed my mother on the cheek when she left, I wasn't surprised. She has already bonded with this stranger and become her friend and mentor. In fact, I smiled to myself knowing full well that we are paying this nurse and she's receiving the gift of time spent with Jule, and will come away a better person for it. Truth is, it's great to get away, but I can't wait to get back home.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosie-
    Love your blog. It's so good to be able to check in and see how things are for you. What a long time it's been that you have been in this intense caregiving mode. You talk about how much Mom takes care of everyone -- you are certainly her daughter. I spoke with Mom this morning. She sounds at peace spiritually, physically challenged by her breathing - a bad cough - and also pretty medicated. Hard to hear that in her voice. I am so used to her being a robust political commentator. But she sounds wonderful as things go. She is so happy with the care you give and the Hospice Workers and -- as you note -- we spent half our time discussing the problems of one of her caretakers. I have always believed that how we die says a lot about how we have lived. And certainly, Mom will take care of us and anyone who comes across her path, as best she can for as along as she lives. She is so, so wonderful at it. It breaks my heart, truly, not to be able to be there with you both, helping and also just to be spending time with Mom. Such a treasure. She loves your home. She loves her room. I have never, honestly, in my life heard her sound so deeply, deeply contented. Please give her plenty of kisses on the forehead from me. I think of you both constantly. Can't wait to read more and cannot WAIT to visit in February! Love to my bro, Hugh! Aloha...

    ReplyDelete