Friday, January 30, 2009

Day to day to day

Anton Chekhov said, "Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." This says a lot about caregiving. Personally, I have loved those that I cared for so much, the wear comes more in the form of weariness from feeling helpless, and the devastation of witnessing the transformation of a vibrant loved one to a vulnerable loved one. When I am unable to relieve someone's pain or help their life circumstance, it leaves a scar on my own heart, an ache in the background. In my own experience, the three people I cared for were each so heroic in their own circumstances, that it made (makes) my day to day a series of lessons. The gratitude I receive in return is more than compensation and soothes that scar. Time spent together is precious. I have experienced the circular nature of life and relationships, the give and take, stretch and ease. Caregiving is a gift to us. It may wear us out but it won't wear us down, it will make our hearts larger in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Until we see our older loved ones begin to wear and indeed feel our own selves slip into our older years we totally take our existence for granted. When you are young "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. Oh the time I have wasted on meaningless activities. I think I'll go play a video game now

    ReplyDelete