Monday, January 19, 2009

My Funny Caregiving Story

My dad had dementia and lived in an assisted living facility. One night, the phone rang. Dad was being taken to the hospital. I rushed to Morningside to be there when the ambulance arrived so he wouldn't be afraid. He lit up, as he always did, when he saw me. Everyone loved my dad. He was gregarious and sentimental, always friendly. As the crew carried him out on a stretcher, the nurses and aides crowded around him wishing him well. "I love you Mr. Healey," one nurse called to him, as they carried him down the hall. "I love you too!" yelled dad in his musical voice, then he lowered his head, looked at me and asked, "Who was that?"

2 comments:

  1. Instructions for leaving a comment, click on the red title of the individual blog then fill in text box and post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary -- Your blog looks terrific! I've never signed onto a blog or written a comment on one before, so this is a first for me. Keep up the wonderful work and stories. As more people become aware of this, I'm sure they'll have plenty of their own memorable stories and experiences to share. Thanks so much for being such a wonderful, loving caregiver. You're truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete