Saturday, January 17, 2009

How Long Do I Have?

From the moment we are born, we begin to die. It's odd how our culture waits for a labeled disease and a deadline to say we are dying. "He's dying of cancer, or she's dying of heart disease." Mom's hospice nurse reminded me that we will all die and it could be sooner or later so let's all get on with living. That's the message of hospice. Live well, live comfortably, and live with dignity. This is advice I could use right now in my own life. Why wait until "I'm dying."

2 comments:

  1. A while back I was heading to work considering how I was going to manage all of the things I needed to get done that day. As a bunch of us were heading for the front door, a stranger with a big smile shouted "Celebrate - another day above the ground". I try to live that daily now. Every day is the icing on the cake.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to icing. Let's lay it on thick!

    ReplyDelete