Thursday, July 30, 2009

Junk Drawers

I used to have only one junk drawer in my kitchen, but lately, nearly every drawer in my house is earning that distinction. Today, while sorting through rubberbands, paper clips, dead pens, pointless pencils, and business cards from where we lived two states ago, I found a stretched out hair tie. Oh well, it would do. Disgusted, I elasticized the mess on my head that should have been cut weeks ago and fought the urge to tear up every drawer in the house and get them in order once and for all.

Instead, I thought about it. And much to my surprise, it cheered me up.

My drawers are a mess, but my priorities are straight. Sitting on my desk is the Prayer of the Caregivers from the National Association of Catholic Chaplains, given to me by my sister:

"Give us the grace this day
to tend those in our care
with full attention
and true tenderness...

Create in us a generosity of spirit
that we may clearly see
the unique spark
in each person we serve,
that no one in our care today
might feel themselves a burden,
another chore on a long list."

I don't always succeed in doing this, but I am trying to be a better caregiver each day.

Junk drawers are another chore on a long list. Sharing coffee and hot buttered kaiser rolls atop my mother's lovely floral quilt in her bedroom is the work and joy of my life.

Junk drawers be damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment