Sunday, July 5, 2009

Engaged!


I asked Mom, "What was the happiest day of your life?" She thought for a few minutes and before answering a huge smile lit her face. "The day your father proposed to me," she said. From here on, her voice took on a youthful quality, she spoke fast and sounded more like one of my daughters speaking than a woman with breathing problems.

"Dad called me and told me to get dressed up to go to a party at Jane's in Scarsdale ," she said, still smiling, "It was dad's birthday, November 28th, 1951, and it was cold but clear outside. Your father always did special things on his own birthday," she laughed when she saw me shake my head. Continuing, she said, "We were going to a party at sunset. I put on my favorite dark green wool dress and he picked me up in grandpa's car. He was using grandpa's car at the time because he was working at Brunswick School for Boys and had no car of his own--he had moved back into his old house with Pop after his time in the Air Force. He was in a good mood but oddly nervous. He started driving on the Shore Road in Westchester County when he pulled off to the side and stopped in a grove of trees by the Long Island Sound. I was confused. I thought something was wrong. Then he reached over to the backseat of the car and pulled out a long rectangular box all wrapped in white with a huge bow on it. 'I have a present for you before we go to the party,' he said. He was sweating. I opened the box and there was a beautiful bride doll in the box with an engagement ring tied to it's ring finger. The ring was platinum with a single round diamond. I looked up at your father, and he asked, "Will you marry me?"

Mom's face went back to that very moment and she paused, remembering.

"Did you kiss?" I asked.

"Naturally!" she said. "Then I asked your father, 'What about the party?' and he said, 'There is no party!' We were so happy, and so excited. I wanted to tell grandma first, but your father said, "Let's stop and tell Pop first, since it's on the way,' and we did. Pop was sitting in his favorite chair in the living room when we arrived, beaming. I could tell he had been waiting for us to come. Pop got up from his chair, gave me a big hug and asked, 'Do you have any idea what you're in for?' We all laughed and I discovered that he had helped Dad pick out the ring. He had been putting aside money that Dad sent home from his time in the Air Force and that's how they bought the ring. From there we went to my mom's house and shared the news with her. It was the most romantic night of my life, and the happiest."

No comments:

Post a Comment