Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

Freedom. We cherish and celebrate freedom and independence in our country today. While reading the newspaper, I can't help but feel something so much greater than luck or gratefulness. Having been born in this country, when I was, to the parents that nurtured me, seems more like a supremely divine blessing than simple luck or good fortune. I grew up in a home that was stable in every way (albeit, with a good does of the denial and surreal jollity that permeated the fifties and lasted into the sixties in our house). Compared to the flamethrowing curse-laden dish breaking fights, the domestic violence and infidelity that dominate the news and reality television today, I grew up in a fairy tale. Witnessing the violence of the Taliban, the turmoil in Iraq, terrorism in Europe and the middle east, and poverty in major pockets of the world, my fairy tale took place in Oz.

Thanks mom and dad, for teaching me that by taking care of family in the best possible way, I secure a tiny particle of humanity that contributes sanity to the whole. My hope is that today, all people that cherish freedom and peace achieve moments of them in their lives --anchors to keep them safe when it storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment