Monday, November 14, 2011

Living to the End


In Learning by Accident, I cover the period in my life from April 2002 – 2004 in great detail. What follows afterward in the book is the epilogue, where I simply show a day in the life as I experience it now, only the ordinary has become extraordinary, and any crisis-free day is a glorious gift to savor.

I’ve learned so much through caregiving. Before Hugh’s accident, I was  stuck in the doldrums. I held myself back for a variety of reasons, making excuses for why I couldn’t go back to school, grow my business, or take a new exciting job. After Hugh’s recovery, I felt energized to use my time wisely. And after the passing of both my mother and father, I learned even more about my own behavior, and why I sometimes didn’t make the most of each day.
 
Erich Lindemann writes:
“If you can begin to see death as an invisible, but friendly, companion on your life’s journey, gently reminding you not to wait till tomorrow to do what you mean to do—then you can learn to live your life rather than simply pass through it.”

My mother remained patient and engaged with people through every hour she spent in hospice until she died. She didn’t fear death; she used her acceptance of it to make sure her life was lived fully in the moment. And even though she could no longer do many things, she could still be a person that others wanted to be around, and she was. People flocked to her for the peace and great love she radiated. Live the life you are meant to live. Don’t wait till tomorrow to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment