Saturday, November 3, 2012

IGS - Irritable Gratitude Syndrome


Do you suffer from IGS: Irritable Gratitude Syndrome? That’s when you find yourself saying, “Sure, I’m thankful that I have my health, but I wish I had this or that," or "I’d be really happy if I could only….”

I suffer this disorder from time to time. Hurricane Sandy smacked some sense into me this week. Not only do I have my health, but my family is healthy—at least at the moment. I  have a roof over my head, food in a fridge that has power, heat to warm me on a cold night, and steady income to pay the bills. I should be bouncing off the walls in jubilation. I am rich beyond measure. This is my thank-you note to the universe.

IGS is a common affliction. It’s natural to think the grass is greener on the other side. Lately, though, it’s clear that misery is also on the other side: unexpected, tragic misery that can strike any of us at any time.

Sandy has made boring, everyday life, exotic beyond measure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment