Monday, January 9, 2012

Starting off with a Bang

It's January 9th already! I had a great time talking to the many people who showed up at the VCU Larrick Center to speak to our senators and delegates about preserving funds for brain injury services and many other much needed mental health services. I hope these funds stay in place.

I'm starting the new year off with a renewed mission: to sell my book and continue spreading the word about how important immediate and ongoing treatment is for brain injury patients and their families. Ongoing quality rehabilitation is the best way to optimize each person's healing potential. Some will return to work. Many will formulate a fulfilling life plan. Support and treatment is crucial in the early months of a brain injury, and the more the public is aware of the consequences of brain injury, the more people will understand how treatment can lead to productive lives and cohesive, stable families.

Remember, a brain injury can happen to anyone, at any time. We are all vulnerable. A slip on the sidewalk, a knock on the head in a football game, an injury from a fall or a car accident, or a sudden stroke can change the rest of your life. I was recently asked, "Aren't you tired of talking about this subject?"


The answer I gave was a resounding, "No." It's an important subject with an evolving science. Big strides have been made in saving people with brain injuries. Now it's time to make sure those people rehabilitate to a life worth living after being saved. 

7 comments:

  1. Your book caught my eye at our library. I was actually the first person to read it. I have to say after reading the authors note, I was stunned! These were my thoughts, my cofession! You 'get it'! I sometimes feel like this is all I talk about.Long term rehab is is the most important piece in recovery!
    Thank you for sharing your life, talents. and thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Faith. So great to hear from you. Keep talking about it...it makes a difference:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rosemary
    Came across your book and wanted to thank you for opening your heart as you do.
    My son was knocked off his pushbike when he was 14 and he is now 28. He has an acquired brain injury. The years have been difficult and sometimes I just feel like giving up but then I see the David I love in his eyes. I am getting older now and my greatest worry is what will happen to him when I am gone.
    I have learned much from David, including that I am stronger than I thought I was. I have learned patience at repetitive behaviour and can laugh at myself for my very human attempts to "fix" David when he really can't see anything wrong with the David he is now!

    Many people just see David's behaviour as odd, or that he could just "pull up his socks" and get better, if he tried harder!! Those of us who live with a brain injured person are much wiser.
    Kind regards
    Margaret of Western Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing. You sound like a strong, compassionate mother with a wonderful son. Sometimes I think those with brain injuries have much to teach all of us. I wish both you and David all the best.

      Delete
  4. I just bought your book and so far have been able to read the first page. Last March of 2011 my husband and father were run over in the parking lot of my son's boy scout meeting by a hit and run driver. In front of the entire family. My two kids sat sobbing in the building while I was with my husband trying to keep him down, experience almost that same exact scene as the nurse in your book. Both my dad and husband experienced TBI- my husband had emergency surgery, induced coma. His was a closed injury and his neurosurgeon testified at the trial that he had never seen anyone as close to death as he was and survive. I am hoping that reading will help me wade through this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some sense of hope and solace in my story. Your experience is still very fresh, and enormously hard to process. I send every best wish to you and your family.

      Delete