Sunday, September 11, 2011

First book signing - Success!

I felt a shiver up my spine when I saw the store event sign for the first time with my name on it bearing a picture of my book cover that looked larger than life.

"Can I get you a drink from the cafe? Is there anything more you need?"a staff member
asked. I felt so significant, even a tiny bit important (certainly not a feeling I'm used to)-- different than myself, different than the "me" I feel like every other day--wonderfully different. Friends approached the table with huge smiles lighting their faces, prompting me to run around the table for a hug. So much excitement and so many good wishes. It's a foreign feeling, people treating me like I'm special, but a delicious one. It made me pause. I wanted to write a meaningful verse in each person's book, but my mind felt a bit fuzzy, unable to find that place where all the right words just flow. Maybe it was the rushing in and out of patrons, the background noise, or the pounding of my own heart, but many of
my signatures felt a bit generic to me. I hope each and every person that asked me to sign a book knows how very much I appreciate his or her willingness to enter my world for just a short while. Within the first hour, I sold every book Barnes and Noble had available to sell. (It wasn't that many) Luckily, I brought a few extras along, so we didn't run out. But I have to say, running out of the store's supply made my day! Thank you again, Barnes & Noble, and all you faithful readers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment