Monday, May 25, 2009

Going Away

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow. I'll be away for about ten days, which feels like a lifetime in my anticipation. Once we go, it will be over in what feels like the space of a minute. Mom will be on her own, and she says she's looking forward to it. Even though she's staying home, it's like a vacation for her as well. Different people will be stopping by without the filter of Rosemary. She'll have the house to herself. She'll eat some of her favorite foods, like canned hash with an egg on top. I haven't made that lately:) When she sits in her small high back chair, I can hardly see her behind the tray that holds the small mountain of books she plans to read. Going away provides us with new experiences to share when we get back together. It will be like old times. I'll burst in the door when we arrive home, anxious to tell her all about our time in the city and at the beach, and she'll fill me in on all the news around home. Funny how going away is exciting but coming back home is the best of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment